Prince Backup Singer Ready to Entertain Hometown Crowd | News
When Prince performs in Greensboro on March 26, one member of the band will see it as more than just another tour date.
Shelby Johnson, who grew up in Greensboro, has been a backup singer with The New Power Generation since 2007.
"It was a dream of mine to perform in the Greensboro Coliseum since I was seven years old, so this concert is going to be a dream come true," Johnson said.
All over the campus of NC A&T on Friday, it was Shelby J Day. She did an interview with the campus radio station, and the entire campus seemed to be abuzz with Johnson's presence.
Johnson hopes the concert itself will show Prince what the town is really made of.
"I want to show him the love and support that I had my entire life. I want to show him how we do it in Greensboro," Johnson said.
Prince will sing at Johnson's upcoming wedding, when she marries her high school sweetheart who went to Smith High School.
Upcoming Events near Greensboro
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- High Point to consider renaming road to honor Martin Luther King Jr.
- One killed, two hospitalized in Guilford Co. wreck
- Big Boss Baking in High Point popular nationwide for all-natural granola
- New Belk store in High Point to celebrate grand opening on March 12
- Guilford Co. parents frustrated by winter weather school closings
- High Point considering renaming Green Drive to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Complaint filed against High Point City Manager Strib Boynton
- High Point University to be closed on Friday
- Piedmont couple struggles to heat home during cold snap
- State releases portion of Montlieu Ave. to City of High Point